Friday, April 30, 2021

Beans (Legumes) On Keto???

 


When eating for health a good question to ask is "should I include beans in my keto lifestyle?"  Legumes have a ton of great things about them.  High in protein, fiber and loaded with essential minerals like potassium and magnesium that are key for lowering or maintaining blood pressure.  They are easy to make, versatile in many recipes and an excellent low cost food source.  Did I mention delicious too?  A lot of bang for your buck.

 


The decision as to whether or not to include beans as part of a keto lifestyle is a personal choice that only you can make.  As an excellent complex carbohydrate I have decided to add them mainly because of the nutrients they offer me and in all actuality they are fairly low in carbohydrates as compared with other foods, such as bread, pasta and even potatoes (although the spud has a lot to offer as well).

 


I don't plan to eat them every day, more like once or twice a week if that, but what I do like about this decision is that it opens up additional food options for me and variety in our daily diet is very important.  Not only to keep us satisfied and prevent burnout from eating the same things day in and day out, but also a variety of foods equals a variety of nutrients we consume.  Keeping a good balance of various nutrients promotes health.  Legumes are also high in fiber, another plus for healthy digestion.

 


If I was doing keto for weight loss I would be less inclined to head down this road.  However, as part of a heart healthy, migraine free, energy driven lifestyle I'm excited about this change to my diet and all of the great meals to come using legumes.  There are many healthy ways to prepare and incorporate beans into my diet.  I'm sure there will be some recipes coming very soon.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. It is always nice to hear from you!