Friday, June 14, 2019

Keto "Crack" Pot Chicken



In no way did I make this recipe up.  I've seen it made by loads of people over the last little while I've been on Keto and finally decided to give it a try.  Holy cow! (Or chicken as the case may be) This is fantastic!  And with only 3 ingredients it couldn't get any easier or more affordable.


You simply take 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts or 6-8 boneless skinless chicken thighs and place them in the bottom of your slow cooker.  Then you pour a can of fire roasted salsa tomatoes over that.  You could use your favorite salsa too.  I happen to absolutely love the fire roasted salsa tomatoes they sell in the diced tomato section of the grocery store.


Lastly, add an 8 oz block of cream cheese on top.  Place the lid on and set the slow cooker to high for 4 hours.  When you come back just shred the chicken with a couple of forks and stir it all together.  One word.  Yum!  I see why it is call "Crack" Pot Chicken, you just want to keep eating it.


Approximately = 4g carbs, 10g fat, 21g protein per serving.  Makes 8 servings.



8 comments:

  1. I have made this so many different ways and they all are delicious. A little rice for the non-keto and a salad and something delicious happens that everyone enjoys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like it with the fire roasted tomato salsa. So good! Can't wait to make it again, :0)

      Delete
  2. Oh, this looks good! Would Neufchatel (1/3 less fat) work as well?
    I would serve it over some frozen turnip cubes that had been oven-roasted for 30 min at 450 degrees. Or maybe over toasted keto muffin halves. Or zucchini noodles. Gosh, the possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would work. I agree, the possibilities are really endless.

      Delete
  3. Well, I finally made this! I used Trader Joe's fire-roasted tomato salsa and Neufchatel (1/3 fat reduced, because it's what I had on hand) cream cheese. The cooking part went without a hitch.

    I used my Kitchenaid stand mixer to shred the breasts! My first time. It worked great except I processed it a wee bit too long. Oh well! Live and learn.

    Honestly? I was not thrilled with the flavor profile. I had to add cayenne, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder to bring it up to my family's tastes. The Trader Joe's salsa might be too mild, or we just love the spice/heat.

    I used my immersion blender to homogenize the cooking sauce and added about 2/3 back to the shredded meat; enough to make sure it was really moist but not soupy. I will freeze the leftover sauce until I figure out what to do with it.

    I will use the chicken to make baked taquitos for my fam; I use Tumarro low-carb wraps and add shredded hot habanero cheese, chopped jalapenos and red onion or green scallions, roll, brush with oil, and bake at 400 for 20 min. They are Yum! I stuff them much more than regular taquitos because my whole fam is carb-conscious.

    For myself, I will have the chicken over mashed cauliflower or stir-fried vegetable rice or over sauteed summer squash with basil! With chopped onion & jalapeno, of course.

    Anyway, I think it's a great basic recipe and it's very adaptable as long as you don't shred the oh-my-gosh out of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The salsa I used had a nice kick to it. I shredded my chicken with a fork. You have some great ideas for ways to use this recipe. Have fun with it!

      Delete
  4. It made GREAT taquitos! Here's a link to the recipe:

    https://ourbestbites.com/baked-creamy-chicken-taquitos/

    I'll bet your girls will love these! These are wonderful because they freeze well and they bake straight from the freezer, for the same amount of time as fresh. So convenient!

    In fact, this chicken breast recipe is what I will use from now on to cook the chicken breasts. The crock pot makes it fuss-free. I will try the Great Value roasted tomato salsa next time, or just deal with the fact that I have to add more spices. It's not the end of the world.
    Thanks for sharing a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. It is always nice to hear from you!